Saturday, January 30, 2010

Darice Polo 1.30.10 By APryl Corbin

I stopped by the UTSA Gallery this week to go check out the new exhibit Intense Concentration. On the fliers that were posted in the halls I was really curious to see what the greatness in the photos were that were represented on the fliers. As I walked through the exhibit there they were, the "photos" taken by the artist Darice Polo. These photos looked aged, like they were taken back in the 60s or something. They were black and white and very grainy. As I got closer and observed the photo…I realized that something was off…surely this medium is not silver gelatin. I looked at the tag, and to my surprise they weren't really photos, they were made from graphite. The photo-realism was really impressive. I was stunned. This brought me to my next great idea. Use it in your art. Some way, I can find out a way to use my hand to paper art with my silver art...some way. I know its been done, but I have never really thought about using this method in my art. We shall see how it goes as the wheels turn this semester. Maybe something magical will spring forth.
** the photo shown is by Darice Polo. Title: Fela’s Visit 1952 (2006)
Graphite
26” x 18 1/4”

2 comments:

  1. You totally stole my idea for this weeks blog! Great choice, though! These "photos" were gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah....yes Apryl, there is a photo Claus. OK, miricle on 34th street reference that will be missed by most sadly. But really, photographic images can be taken into most any other media in very engaging ways. I am intrigued and can't wait to see what you end up doing. Eventually, this type of thinking will be a part of the new photo curriculum. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete