Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Robert & Shana ParkeHarrison/ Autumn Dean

Going to my first professional artist talk I really didn't know what to expect.  Listening to Shana and Robert talk about their lives as artists was just very eye opening.  I love the way they use "The Everyman" in their earlier work and how they have moved their new body of work to compliment their older work.  I found it very interesting that they let their surrounding landscapes of where they live influnce them.  Many of their pieces are strong to me because of the use of the narratives and sculptures.  I find it so interesting that they do more with their photography.  The fact that I can actually hold these dream like things that are in their photos tickle my brain. They put so much thought and work into each photo.  I think it is easy to get behind someones work when you can see the amount of time and thought that goes into a piece.  Also the craftsmanship behind there sculptures and their sets show you the extra amount of work in each piece. When they moved their process to color the fact that they are both from painter backgrounds helps so much.  The way they present their color photography makes you feel like you are viewing a painting and not a photograph. The process they use to depict this is by printing on a paper with torn edges and painting a wax layer over they photograph.  It gives the photograph a buffed glossy feel to it.  It creates the layers that you would see on a painting. These two photographers put their hands into their work through each process and deserve so much respect for their work.   I have really fallen in love with this power couple even more after hearing them talk about their lives as artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment