Sunday, January 31, 2010

Michael McCarthy--- Monica Garcia 1/31/10

So for this week’s blog I want to share with y’all an artist I stumbled a crossed on the internet while I was doing some research on the window assignment. I’m not sure how many of heard of or know of Michael McCarthy. I went to his web site and he has done and worked with almost everything, everything including the types of cameras he has used and the processes as well. I was drawn to most of his figure work. All the works seem to have some sort of texture to it and in the alternative processes the colors are so vibrant and interesting.

In his cyanotype photogram series his inspiration was from the Greek sea and the winds and you can feel that when you see them. I also like that fact that the texture in that work looks like fishing nets drawing back to the idea of the Greek sea.

His pinhole images are just as amazing. I myself have done pinhole once and this makes me want to try it out again. I think McCarthy’s work shows how he works as an artist but also as a tourist. He travels a lot and his travel pictures are just as amazing as his artist work. They aren’t your typical tourist pictures but so pretty. Someday this is what I wish to do just travel and have an amazing form of capturing everything like he does. For those interested in looking him up his website is: http://www.michael-mccarthy.com/homeframe.html

Apryl, I thought of you when I saw he did some alternative processes including gum which I know you are working with, I don’t know if it’s the same form or method but you should look it up.

1 comment: