Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blair Bodden submits Jay Gould







Jay Gould is a Louisiana based artist and assistant professor of photography at Louisiana Tech University. He received his B.F.A. in photography from the University of Wisconsin and then his M.F.A. from the Savannah College of Art & Design in Georgia.
In his work he has decided to take his photography to a new level and integrate scientific topics which this has one him several awards. As a child he was actually more interested in science than photography. Gould has been quoted saying"The scientist will use a microscope or a telescope to see things because their natural senses can't look that small or look that far away," he said, "but a photographer or a painter uses brushes or a camera to envision something that also is a little bit beyond the tangible senses." Gould has been known to call himself a nerd who didn’t set down his tools in favor of photography instead he integrated them.
This artist inspires my artist nature he shows that you can combine subject matter and material to make the concepts more apparent and reachable to different audiences. Personally, for me I have always had a struggle between painting, sculpture, and photography. After viewing Gould’s work and actually having the pleasure of listening to one of his lectures last year it made it clear to me that I can combine my photography with the other areas of art that interest me. This has proved to make my concepts stronger and has opened a new area in my brain to work from.

No comments:

Post a Comment