Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/03/09 Jacquelyn Nelson "Keri Coar Photography"


This First Friday I went down to the Blue Star Complex and before we left we went into one of the smaller galleries, and the artist Keri Coar had about 8 floral photographic prints that caught my eye. I’m not sure of the name of the gallery, I thought I would be able to find some information online, but I can’t even find anything about the artist. First of all, I’ve never seen pictures that have this tone of metallic green, pinks and off whites. It almost looked like the flowers were overexposed and then maybe some alternative process was used. It also looks like maybe they could have been hand colored or even painted but there was no evidence of paint strokes. I have no idea how these prints were created, but I hope that they weren’t photoshopped. That would take all the uniqueness and interest out of it for me. I’m not against using Photoshop, but I do believe that it takes a lot less skill to produce work with a few clicks. Assuming they were done in a darkroom, Keri has mastered making the photographs consistent. Together on the wall, they made a nice collection and made the subject more interesting. The dull colors and the softness of the lines made the photos very calming and the use of negative and positive space was executed well. Although, I do wonder why there wasn’t anything in the background behind the flowers. So I’m torn. My conclusion is that it’s either a loss of detail, which is understandable or Photoshop.

1 comment:

  1. I can't see much from the image you took, but they look like they might be photograms...they could also be a process that uses petroleum jelly and objects directly on photo paper and then the paper is put into photo chems. I would have to get down there to see them in person to know. I missed this one when I went to first Friday. Let me know which gallery and we can try to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete