Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/3/09 - Brittany Gates: Cathy McLaurin

As some of you have probably noticed, I have been looking at a lot of photo collage lately. So I was pretty happy to see some at the UTSA Satellite Space on First Friday.

I guess you would call these pieces mixed media collages rather than photo collages, although they do include photography in them.

They are part of the artist's "Making Nice" series, and are presented on large paper sacks. Like the ones you would get at the grocery store if you asked for paper instead of plastic.

The photographic images look like they might be appropriated. They remind me of the images you'd see on those old dress pattern packages that you can buy in fabric stores. Especially since all of the images are of females. The artist has attached some hand drawn animal heads to all of the figures, giving them a cartoon look. She has also painted on some circular patterns in black and white in the background.

I thought these images were really amusing. I always enjoy seeing photography mixed with other medias, and I found this a nice example of that.

You can see this series and more of her work on her website.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this show, also. I did think some of the pieces in the UTSA space were funny...like all the stuffed animals decapitated. The ones you are talking about were not amusing to me. They were totally creepy. I'm not saying I didn't like them, they were just weird. I do love the concept, though...do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...these made me wish we were made of money. I love these drawings/collages. I guess I am a sucker for animal headed little girls. They were so coy and charming. I was also taken by the idea of making nice...it really makes you think about what that statement means and how those goals get set for little girls...sugar and spice and everything nice. I think these are subtle yet highly charged with feminist fireworks. It is also a great example of finding wonderful images to appropriate!

    ReplyDelete