Saturday, October 24, 2009

Courtney 10/24/09

I was having some trouble coming up with an idea for my final proposal. After meeting with Libby and talking about my interests, she suggested a couple artists. One was Jan Dibbets (amazing). I may talk about him next week. The other was Jay Gould. His work is really interesting to me. It appeals to my love of the details. I love how he uses text and drawings to illustrate his photos. It reminds me of all the drawings I've seen that DaVinci did. It seems like he shoots something, takes it home, studies it...then evaluates the scientific data. Really amazing. I had looked at his site several weeks ago and loved it. Looking at it today...there is lots more to see. He now has some of his handmade books shown here. I am currently taking book arts and have a new found appreciation for this art form. His books are beautifully constructed. I only wish I could hold one in my hands and experience the content. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. www.jgould.net/books
    Not sure why I can't get the stupid link to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on getting Jay to come be a visiting artist in February. He will come for a week and students will be able to assist him with his work. I am sure I will also have him give a lecture too...those who went to SPESC saw him speak about this work and all agreed he would be a great person to bring down...

    ReplyDelete