Monday, February 1, 2010

Francesca Woodman - Brittany Gates 2/1/10


I decided to do some more research for our window project by looking at more work by Francesca Woodman.

What really intrigued me about this photo (House #3) was how open the window is. This, paired with the blurriness of the figure makes it seem as though the figure has blown in through the open window.

I really love the contrast of the upper half of the photo with the lower off. Blurry vs. Sharp. The broken pieces on the floor have such interesting shapes, and mimic the blotchy pattern on the walls.

There is also the concept behind the photo. There is such stillness in the whole image, apart from the figure. It makes you wonder exactly what happened. Did the figure cause this mess? Was it caused by something that happened to the figure? She lies in a vulnerable position, which suggests the latter. All the details behind the concept make me more aware of what I need to think about when creating my own window image. The window has to be the center of the idea.

1 comment:

  1. this is why many fall in love with her work and mimic her style. That and the tragic story of her short life.

    ReplyDelete