Friday, February 19, 2010

SEEDS- Apryl Corbin

I feel like photos are suppose to speak to people, just as art is suppose to...because essentially that is what we are making...right?! I think that it is easy for someone to take a nice/pretty photograph, but it is another thing to speak to people through your photos. There are many ways to do this:
1. Storybook photo series
2. Gut punching photos
3. Using words in photos or artist statement
4. Etc...
For me I like to show people how I am feeling. Whether it is what is important to me or what I am experiencing at the time I want to viewer to see it to. I published a past post last semester about Jerome Lieblings. He captures everyday people in their natural habitats yet in an unconventional way. You feel a sense of 'being', life happening. I guess my struggle has been making people care about what I am shooting. I’ve been attempting this by trying to draw the viewer into my photos through odd compositions or through the audience being able to relate to the images that I photograph. Right now I am working on a series of photos that express who I am and my inner/outer being. I think that in order for me to be able to fully become immersed in my work, I must first discover who I am and work through all the pieces in my life that I have chosen to forget or shun. Without this, I don’t think that it is possible for me to care about anything worth telling a story about. I must first understand the small struggles within myself before I can understand such complex injustices such as world hunger, sex trafficking, or poverty. For it is these that I am most passionate about yet cannot fully grasp. So I start with the small things like my feelings and physical state of being, and eventually I think all the big things inside of me will just come pouring out when they are ready.
So I guess you can say that my seed is storytelling and making people feel something that makes them think.

This is a photo that I took. It is called The King. At the time of taking the photo I was really tired or authorities telling me what to do when they really didn’t know what was going on at the time. So I took a picture of a cat- a family member of the king of the animal kingdom. The domestic cat is supposed to represent the little guy taking a stand for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment