Monday, February 15, 2010

Laura - "Seeds"

This week we are to think about our seeds and what brings us to make our art. I am a mother before anything, so my first thought has always been to place my children in my photographs. At the start of my first photography course I would look for different ways to photograph my children. To me, they were great. How could they not? Then, at the end of the semester Larry had me look to photograph things other than my children, things that represented me as a person. Wow, me as a person, not a mother. That was so hard. A couple semesters of art courses later, I'm still learning, but I'm not struggling. Now, I look at my culture and what makes me me.
I am what Libby calls a Hunter. I love to carry my camera around everywhere. I photograph everything/anything. I love patterns, shadows, old; rustic, vintage things. Now, what I am looking forward to learning is how to set up my photographs.

1 comment:

  1. Ah...so many things to explore! We will have to start you looking at people who are also hunters who, in a sense, are also gatherers.
    I am interested in your shift from defining as mother to individual as well. My own shift has been from individual/artist/professor to mother recently and it is a big shift. I wonder how you might make work that draws from the idea of shifting roles without directly referencing the kiddos. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete