Sunday, February 14, 2010

Courtney 2/14

This week we are supposed to write about our "seeds of inspiration". I find inspiration in lots of places. Probably the most obvious from previous work is architecture. I love the details, the stairs, the doorways, windows and the spaces these different things create. I love brand new buildings and really old, decayed buildings. I love how the different perspective changes when you move around the structure. I guess that sort of explains a lot of my other inspiration. I am a chronic list maker and planner. I enjoy planning and cooking for a party more than the actual party. I am totally OCD and have anxiety issues if things are not balanced and where they need to be. I like things in sets and things that match. I don't like frilly, extravagant anything. I prefer sturdy structure and neutral colors. I love math and crossword puzzles and watching the history channel. I have been trying to spend time researching new (and old) photographers and artists. And yesterday I finally went on Jen's (last semester student) website. She is inspirational. She is taking a photo of herself every day for a year. Her photos are amazing. And you can see how much better she gets with the passage of time. I am inspire to do something similar. Taking lots and lots of photos is the only way to get better. My challenge is to find subject matter that pulls everything I love together and make it into an interesting photo. I feel like the last couple of semesters have really helped me focus my ideas. And I can't wait to hear Jay Gould speak. I imagine he will be a great inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. I am guessing this is Courtney...no heading for some reason. These are great seeds. Especially the sets and matching in opposition to having things unbalanced. Hmmmmmmmm.........what are these millions of photos going to be???
    You are correct by the by...the only way to get better is to take a whole slew of images. And with digital cameras there is really no excuses for not doing it. It allows you all to work through so many ideas very quickly. Frankly, I would love to see more of this kind of behavior.

    ReplyDelete