Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Blair Bodden submits Corinne May Botz




Currently, as an undergraduate student I am working with the notion of storytelling, narratives, folklore, and fairytales. For my current work I am using and working with miniatures to covey my concepts. In doing research for my work I came across the photographer Corinne May Botz. Botz has several different bodies of work but the one that grab my attention the most was The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death.

The artist documented miniatures of crime scenes that were created in the 1940s and 1950s by a criminologist Frances Glessner Lee. In Botz’s artist statement she states, “the models, which were based on actual homicides, suicides, and accidental deaths, were created to train detectives to assess visual evidence.” This work actually with out me realizing has inspired my current work as an undergrad. Even though Francis Glessner Lee created these miniatures for a specific reason, Botz has brought a life to the miniatures that create a setting for a story gone wrong. This is what intrigued about the work that when looking at it you start creating a story in your head to companion the photograph. This is the goal that I am searching for with my own work and hopefully I will accomplish as well as Botz has.

No comments:

Post a Comment