Sunday, December 12, 2010

Salina Ellis presents Todd Murphy




Sovereign Tree

The bodice is another symbol that I have wanted to explore in my own work. I read that he uses the photograph of a bodice and in a niche below it places branches, but in the image above it looks like an actual bodice. The treatment that Todd gives it is unexpected and spiritural.


He claims there is a zen to his work, which is easily identifiable. He uses both analog and digital methods to create his images, which are huge, as big as 5 x 10 feet. This appears to be a commercial series, originally to be installed on light boxes at the entry ways of a 20 floor tower.


I was fascinated at the wonderfully composed placement of the birds, then I read they are stuffed. Oh. He uses many photos to create one image, as many as 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment