Thursday, August 2, 2012

Radcliffe Bailey: Memory As Medicine; and then random rant by Katy Schmader Post #4



I recently became fascinated with how different types of art, or media communicate with one another. I heard about the most recent show at the the McNay a couple weeks ago and that fascination became an obsession. Radcliffe Bailey's work is superb and really worth a visit.

Not only is Bailey's work elegant, graceful, but each piece communicates with one another within the gallery. The is not just a series of photographs, or a group of sculptures, but a family of intermingled  works that communicate a greater message. 

Could this message not be communicated through one media? Or is it that we have come to a point where what we are communicating needs a larger stage in which the artist fronts the issue. 

I do not want to be "JUST" a photographer. I feel challenged in a way to interlace items, pieces, and different media together to communicate my message. How will this help me to communicate my fascination with the human mind, and how it works. 

Aren't we in a way constantly building ourselves and creating our individuality from all the bits and pieces we collect on our journey? Why would my art be any different?...In a way isn't Bailey using his art as a way to remember?

I recently ran into this quote while reading "Moonwalking with Einstein," (read previous post): “Our lives are the sum of our memories. How much are we willing to lose from our already short lives by … not paying attention?

Our lives are the memories we collect. My life is the memories I remember. The breakfest I had this morning, the spilled coffee I wasn't able to drink this afternoon. The walks I enjoy in the park every Saturday afternoon. The music I play while washing the dishes (Duke Ellington) The few mornings that I enjoy sleeping in. What would happen if I were to forget these memories? Who would I be? This idea is incredibly horrifying... I sometimes feel the urge to write everything down, as to not forget. In a way to not become any less me. 

....maybe my mission in life is to become a hoarder, a hoarder of memories with a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment