Sunday, October 10, 2010

Christel Schlager Submits The Akrotiri Project


The Akrotiri Project 

This was being shown at Trinity University, and I have to say a few things, unlike UTSA’s gallery when I walked I looked at a few images I noticed they were only pinned with numbers on them, no titles? I didn’t know what the name of the pieces was, or what the whole collection of works was even about. There wasn’t a handout with a preface and I was only able to figure out the names of the pieces when I asked the girl at the front desk. She had the names on this list of two pages inside this notebook. So I had to awkwardly carry her book to read the names of the pieces. So that kind of gave me a different opinion about the photos even before I viewed them.


The first one I saw was on the right side of the wall nearest to the window it was called “The Royal Road, Knossos, Crete.” The image has signs of photo tinkering within it, it actually a lot of the photos in this collection had it. This particular image was combining a visual landscape with a stone pathway in the middle. It had trees growing on either side surrounding/ bordering the image and in the middle there is a little cut within the trees and you are able to see a wired fence and a telephone pole…I don’t think the was supposed to be intentional, it looks like the artist tried to cover it up as well, with the photo edited image that was layered above it. It was to me something like a stylized image of a wall painting with a figure of a man wearing an elaborated headdress and surrounded with what seemed to be some sort of exotic flower. All together the composition of this piece was a bit lacking. I personally feel that the photo shopped man was a bit too big and blurry for the landscape, and the way he was cropped into the image seemed to be halfhearted. It was just more apparent to me that there wasn’t much thought put into the shoot unlike the ones I just saw at UTSA with “China Today”. 

Most feel like they don't make good use of lighting and others just don’t make sense when she was using the transparency part of layering two images together. I don’t want to be mean , but I just didn’t have any connection to this photographers images, and I was unable to figure out what she was trying to convey with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment