Saturday, September 19, 2009

9/19/09 Courtney Smyth

Another week of all football, all the time. This week coming up I hope to get to a couple of new galleries around where I live....a little too late for this weeks blog, though.
I looked up Michael Kenna, another one of Libby's suggestions. His work is mostly done with medium format cameras. He sends his film to a lab to get processed, but does all the printing himself. He says, "The negative is raw material, which a skilled and creative printmaker can mold in a thousand different ways." He shoots primarily night time landscapes with very long exposures (up to 10 hours). The result is beautiful black and white photographs that almost glow from within. He also has some shots of industrial, architectural and street scenes. They all have that glowing quality. His perspective on seemingly every day scenes is amazing! Often, when I view art, I wonder if the work is something I would hang in my home. If it is something I could look at every day and still love it. The answer in this case is absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment