Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bianca Pitman- Julius Gribou 9/23

The RADIUS hosts pieces from the Joan Grona Gallery upon its walls and I was there for a meeting so I was able to witness this show in person. Right now a photographer, who previously served as the founding Dean of College of Architecture, the UTSA Executive Vice Provost Julius Gribou's Tuscan series are being showcased. The images by Gribou are that of a recent trip to Tuscany, Italy. All of the pieces are landscape images, many are aerial pictures of farmed lands. Gribou seems to enjoy capturing rythm and repitition in his compositions. I do enjoy the composition and the subject matter. However, I was slightly disappointed with the digital prints as the color range was off and they printed with unnatural color and noise. There were a few things that seemed "off" about the pictures and when you get close to the print you see this. I am not sure who curated this show but there were things that should have been addressed. The images were sandwiched between plexiglass and scotch tape was holding the pieces in. I am sure that this affected the impression of the images on the people who viewed them. It left you feeling unsatisfied---like, you know they could have been presented better. The actual composition of the images were successful as they conveyed a rich sense of cultural atmosphere within the rythm of the landscapes. Aside from the short-comings of the presentation the pieces were interesting and nice to view from a distance. The RADIUS can be located at 106 Auditorium Circle downtown. They also have abstract paintings on synthetic paper by Cornelia White Swann that are extremely interesting! You should check them both out!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/artworks/gribou2.jpg
    I see what you mean by "unnatural color and noise." I haven't gone to view this work but I saw your post and looked up the photographer online. The link above takes you to a couple of his photographs. After viewing the bottom one...I agree with you about the color. I don't get it. The shapes formed by the building in the top photo is kind of interesting, but I think the smooth texture of it all makes it something you would just glance at quickly and then move on.

    -Stephanie Abraham

    ReplyDelete