Friday, September 4, 2009

9/4/09 Fotoseptiembre Brittany K


I went to Fotoseptiembre on Thursday. I visited Armon's Studio to check out our fellow classmates Ross's photos. We had a few photography courses together and I truly appreciate his work. Landscape may be an unfavorable subject however I have seen how Ross creatively captures the essence of art through them. He tends to have an eye for unusual landscape scenes that some would not even take to being artistic. One of the most appealing photo was of the ocean I believe in Hawaii with the variations of color in the sky fading from blues to gradations of purple, oranges, and pinks. This image was one that I was fond of and believed it captured more of the artistic aspects that one would expect in the commercial world. However the image of the sugar cane was a bit more appreciative in my opinion. Ross created an image that has movement which in a sense causes traction between the movement lines of curves against the straight lines going off into perspective. The composition of the lines also break up the image which create recognizable shapes that we see in everyday life. This image of nature represents how shapes are always around us. The vast space that is presented and defined by the horizon line allows one to perceive from the image alone how grand the space actually is without having to personally be there. The high saturation of tones are vibrant yet provide a peaceful mood to the viewer. I believe Ross successfully achieved creating a landscape image that can be typically viewed in the artistic world as a subject matter that is criticized if it does not contain the formal elements of art. I encourage him to take on this project to see if he can successfully master the skill of taking good landscape photos. Also should try various alternative processes to enhance the effect of the landscape.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to go check out Ross' work too, except I think my favorite ones were the fireworks that looked like sea creatures. they were pretty sweet!! I really loved the movement and colors that were captured in the photos! Good job Ross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unable to visit the studio to see Ross' work. The landscape photo shown above IS very interesting. I too enjoy the shapes created by the fault and the lines created by the abrupt absence in vegetation. It's an interesting contrast between what the curving lines that the landscape produces naturally and the straight lines that occurr as a result of farming and man controlling the land. Awesome!

    -Stephanie Abraham 9/5/09

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany-
    This is a good example of a thorough review. Good work! Ross was thinking when he took his camera along on the helicopter ride for sure. Having a different perspective changes how you interact with what you might see everyday.
    Emmet Gowin did an amazing series of aerial photos in b/w you can find at the website...
    http://photography-now.net/emmet_gowin/portfolio1.html
    (By the way...this is also who I was trying to think of when I mentioned Harry Callahan's images of his wife...Emmet shot Edith, look at those too!)
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  5. The above post was mine:
    "I went to go check out Ross' work too, except I think my favorite ones were the fireworks that looked like sea creatures. they were pretty sweet!! I really loved the movement and colors that were captured in the photos! Good job Ross!"

    <3 Apryl Corbin

    ReplyDelete