Saturday, September 19, 2009

Apryl Corbin 9/19 Spiral Jetta


I have been reading this book for my contemporary art history class. It is called Spiral Jetta by Erin Hogan. I'm sure most of you have read it if you took Johnson. I thought that it was going to be your boring ho hum forced class readings, but oddly enough, I ended up being really inspired by it! I really love the way she just took off on a whim to go visit all of these really well known art pieces. She went on the journey by herself and she really discovers a lot about herself and her perceptions of art seen in books along the way. I don't want to give away the book because all of you should read it. It is really inspiring and just encouraged me to look at my art not as the artist, but as the viewer. How do others perceive my work? How is my piece going to be interpreted by photos and writings on it? This is just always something very good to think about as an artist.

1 comment:

  1. I read that book last semester and also thought it would be super boring. I really liked it. Although, I found it to be more about her personal journey to independence than about art.

    ReplyDelete