Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bianca submits Tillman Crane


Tillman Crane is an alternative processes photographer. He prints in platinum and paladium to achieve his painterly images. When looking through the website I most appreciated his "artist statement" because it was something that I could relate to-- which made his work intriguing to me. I do not photograph structures or architecture very often, however the stories behind his subject matter was interesting. I do know that there are a few of you guys in our class that enjoy this type of imagery so I figured he would be a nice addition to our blog. :) Enjoy.
www.tillmancrane.com

2 comments:

  1. Libby Says- Bianca...this is a little slim...what do you relate to in his statement that you appreciate but do not elaborate on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bianca says- Fair enough. :)

    I can relate to the difficulty Crane has in expressing the "whys" in his work. He believes himself to be more of a reactionary photographer rather than a conceptual photographer. He likes to talk about the process and how he came to catch the light in that way rather than why he chose to shoot that particular object or scene. Though I find that I do seem to be more conceptual-- expressing my work in words has always been tough for me. I know why I did it-- but how do I explain everything to the viewer without sitting them down and telling my life story? Crane states that capturing the light is his main objective when setting up for the photographs. He tells that since he shoots w/ view cameras that he has to painstakingly set up every aspect of each picture-- because he takes imagery on sheet at a time...and it is a very time consuming process~~ especially since he then prints in alternative processes which takes even more time than the average silver gelatin print. His subject matter is not my cup o' tea-- but his process and statements were what drew me in for a closer look.

    * Libby- hope this was better. :)

    ReplyDelete