Monday, May 5, 2014

Sheridan O'Neal submits Yoko Ono #6

Sheridan O'Neal submits Yoko Ono #6

Yoko Ono primarily works as a performance artist creating works to engage the viewers by requiring their involvement in the body of work. Her art explores the human body and society will choose to interact with her as well as the art. One of her most notable performances, "Cut Piece", allows the audience to cut away the black dress that Yoko Ono was wearing. She remains still and quiet throughout the piece, making her an object rather than the subject. The audience was hesitant at first and then later became interactive and at times aggressive throughout the performance. This piece inspired me to create my performance piece at the beginning of the semester. However my piece was more about allowing others to strip the barriers that you can build against them. It was cyclical for me. People cause me to build up walls or layers of thicker skin against them, but I was also allowing those same people to peel those layers off.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment