Monday, August 2, 2010

Carolyn King submits Elinor Carucci

When I first started taking my photo classes at UTSA, I found that I was specifically drawn to small and seemingly insignificant objects as subject matter, for example the photo of my toe nail that I used for the first photogram assignment. I have always been attracted to the tiny details that make life especially beautiful and I try to be open minded about those things that add asthetic and visual pleasure to life. I began to realize that many people overlook these objects and I thought that if I could photograph them in a certain way, I could make them noticable and more importantly, give them a voice to speak for themseves. Yet something I continually struggle with is finding a way to make these photographs bold representations of timid objects. I discovered Elinor Carucci's work "Closer" and was immediately drawn to her photos because of the similarities in the things that I would find myself photographing. Yet Carucci gave a voice to her subjects, at times a quiet voice like photo of the curtain in front of the window, and at times a bit bolder, like the photo of the man laying on Carucci's chest. I especially appreciate her work because Carucci was the first artist I used as an inspiration for my work and assignments and I believe her photos pushed me to make photos speak for themselves by enhancing typical and uninteresting subjects by employing complex composition and lighting.

http://www.elinorcarucci.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment